Many people celebrate holidays, but what they might not know is that there’s a holiday, or special day for just about anything you can imagine. And while some of the origins of these obscure holidays may not be clear, they are still, nonetheless, worthy of being honored on their special day. In February alone people celebrate canned food day, Great American Pie Day, National Cherry Day, Creative Romance Day and there’s even a special day for pizza. February 9th is Happy National Pizza Day. As we all know, pizza is a delicious baked flatbread that is topped with sauce (generally tomato) and cheese. In addition to that, pizza can be topped with anything from the traditional pepperoni to just about any meat, vegetable or fruit you can imagine.
To celebrate Happy National Pizza Day properly, one should take a look at its history and some interesting facts. Pizza was first created in Naples, Italy sometime around the 10th century. Today, it has become one of the most well-known and popular foods in America and beyond. It was in 1905 that the pizzeria, Lombardi’s, opened in New York making it the first in America. Today there are popular chains on every corner throughout the country. From thin crusts to deep dish, to veggie and meat lovers, pizza has become a favorite.
So here are some interesting facts about pizza:
- Each of us in America, on average, consumes 23 pounds of pizza each year. So if are one of the 8,000 residents of Roanoke, Texas, that adds up to 184,000 pounds of pizza a year!
- Pepperoni is ordered on 36% of all pizzas making it the most popular topping.
- Each year, more than 3 billion pizzas are sold, plus another 1 billion in frozen pizzas.
- 13% of Americans consume pizza every day.
- 17% of all restaurants in the United States are pizzerias.
- 37% of North American’s like their pizzas topped with cheese only.
- The most popular pizza is a pepperoni, mushrooms and onion.
- The world’s largest pizza, which they named, Ottavia, was created by 5 renowned Italian pizza makers on December 13, 2012. It had a surface area of over 13,580 square feet and was made gluten-free as a good health message.
- A few years later, in 2016, a pizzeria in Naples created the world’s longest pizza which was over 6,000 feet.
- The actual largest pizza that is available for purchase is 4 feet, 6 inches by 4 feet, 6 inches and is sold at Mama’s and Papa’s Pizzeria in Los Angeles.
- And finally, there’s actually a man who holds the record for the largest collection of pizza boxes. The Brooklyn, New Yorker has acquired over 585 different pizza boxes and is still collecting.
However you choose to celebrate National Pizza Day in Roanoke, Texas, we at Palio’s Pizza Café celebrate you, our customers, and hope you will include a visit to us on this very special day of the year. Whether it’s Happy National Pizza Day or any other day of the year, Palio’s Pizza Café serves the best gourmet pizzas in town. Call 817.767.5221 to place your order or stop in, today.